Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Last Post

New Blog:http://someday-on-the-avenue.blogspot.com/


One of my great pet peeves is when people suddenly pack up their perfectly good blog to create a new one… and then expect readers to go along and follow them. To be fair, these people are usually teenybopper kids who have outgrown their URL, "QTdreamersweetheart09" in favor a more mature name, "Totescoolio09." (This is, indeed, the actual progression of one of my prize-winning students.)  

This is my first travel blog, and I will always look back on it fondly. It documents my Rotary Youth Exchange years, as well as my travels during my college years. As the main character of my own story, it is always amusing and fascinating to reflect upon my own blog and to see the progression of a wide-eyed little girl traveling abroad. It never feels that long ago until I stop and really think about how much time has past. The fact is that I think I have moved on past that blog. The description says, 
This is my story. The story of a small town girl with big-time dreams and a deadly (contagious) case of Wanderlust. I'm seeking life's most important question: what I want to do with the rest of my life and how to get there, while chasing samurai and wearing French berets, all the while differentiating between foreigner, gaijin, and Étranger...

I am past this stage in my life. I am 21, arguably not a girl anymore. I still do not know what I want to do with the rest of my life, but I have accepted this simple truth: I probably will never know what I want to do with the rest of my life. And you know what? That’s okay with me. But how do I start a new blog? I am sure great authors (and crappy authors, E.L. James and Stephanie Meyer, alike) have grappled with the great questions of where does a story end and then restart again. Where does a sequel fit in? I suppose I could have started a sequel when I left for France, or when I left for College. It seems relatively arbitrary to just start a sequel right in the middle of this wicked summer, coined the “Summer of the Islands.” But then I thought that “Wherever you go,” started when I was a 15 year-old girl about to head off on the greatest adventure of her life. It started with Japan. I should consider that as a sign of luck. Japan was the best year of my life. Maybe it’s a good idea to start this new blog with Japan. 

No comments: